The following components must be formatted to be uniform with the model / template:
Title Page, Committee Page, Acknowledgements, Abstract, Table of Contents, List of Tables, List of Figures, Chapters, Top Margins, Pagination (Roman and Arabic Numerals), References, Appendices, and Vita.
Students should format their thesis or dissertation to follow the guidelines contained within the model document. Use of the “template” is an option for students who find it helpful. All theses and dissertations, regardless of their source document (MS Word, LaTeX, Mac Pages, Google Docs or another Open Source document) must match the uniform guidelines contained within the model documents.
Signature / Approval page templates are now located in the "Forms" page under the "For Graduation" tab
Printed Abstracts are no longer required for submission.
Specific Instructions for MS-Word
Templates for LaTeX
For information and instructions about Latex, Click Here.
iThenticate and Avoiding Plagiarism
- As of September 1, 2014 all thesis/dissertations deposited at Purdue must be screened using the iThenticate program. Satisfaction of this requirement will be certified by both major professor & degree candidate signing in Electronic Thesis Acceptance Form [ETAF] 9. Please direct all iThenticate questions to Ashlee Messersmith, Manager of the Thesis & Dissertation Office.
LaTeX Template (puthesis)
The Thesis/Dissertation Office recommends using puthesis.
- Why should you use it?
- Thousands of people have graduated using it. You won’t need to “reinvent the wheel.”
- All formatting details are done automatically, you can concentrate of the content of your thesis instead of worrying about margins, typefaces, etc.
- It is especially convenient for typesetting mathematics.
- Many people think it produces a more attractive output than other systems.
- All of the software needed is free and available for a wide variety of software and operating systems.
- Some (especially engineering, mathematics, and science) journals use LaTeX.
- You may be able to cut large chunks out of your thesis, change a few lines at the top of the resulting file, and send that to a journal.
- Using LaTeX and BibTeX is very common in the scientific community. Sooner or later you may need to learn it anyway.
MS Word Template
Our Microsoft Word templates are designed to be used with Word 2013 (PC) and 2016 (MAC).
We are unable to support the use of these templates with older versions of Microsoft Word, Pages for Mac, or LibreOffice.
For troubleshooting, use Microsoft’s Help Pages.
Questions? Email email@example.com with WORD TEMPLATE in the subject line.
Read the template instructions provided in each template before writing your thesis or dissertation.
Note: copy/pasting into templates may cause formatting issues that should be fixed before submitting to the Graduate School.